I want to contribute to strace project

Eugene Syromiatnikov esyr at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 02:02:03 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 03:14:16PM +0530, Ayush Dwivedi wrote:
> Hello everyone,

Hello.

> This is Ayush. I am a college student studying computer science. I find
> Linux operating system really interesting and I love C language. Recently I
> have been studying syscalls and IPCs. I have used strace along with gdb and
> valgrind at times. I wrote a minimal Linux Shell as a hobby project and as
> of now it can execute most command constructs including pipes and file
> descriptor creation using shell symbols I will add scripting capabilities
> to it. I wanted to know how and where should I start contributing to the
> strace project and what are the preliminary skills and knowledge base I
> need to have.

You may want to check out [1][2].  The preliminary skills are knowledge
of C language, POSIX, and Linux APIs (especially ptrace), to some extent.
Knowledge of POSIX shell, awk, make, and autotools/m4 are also deemed useful.

> What are some other projects that are similar to strace but
> quite minimal to start with that I can check out?

There are quite some ptrace-based tracers, but it's difficult to refer
to any of them, as they usually aren't correct and/or cross-platform.
Implementation of syscall tracing in ltrace and gdb is likely worth
studying, though.

[1] https://strace.io/wiki/NewContributorGuide
[2] https://gitlab.com/strace/strace/blob/master/README-hacking