syslog and SYSLOG_ACTION_READ_ALL

Alistair Francis alistair23 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 16:49:17 UTC 2020

Hey,

I'm seeing something strange with the strace tests. The syslog test
always hangs at this syscall:

syslog(3 /* SYSLOG_ACTION_READ_ALL */, ..., 64) =

>From what I can tell that is the correct behaviour as it should block
until it reads something from the syslog. The problem is there is
nothing to read so this just hangs forever. Am I missing something
should the test somehow generate syslogs?

I added some printk() statements in the kernel and that fixes the test
as there is now something in the syslog, but that doesn't seem like
the right fix.

Alistair