[GSoC] Self Introduction

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Thu Mar 24 15:55:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Wei Yulan <weiyulanaheadlead at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Wei Yulan, a junior from China, majored in Computer Science at Nanjing
> university of Aeronautics and Astronautics. I am excited for the opportunity
> to participate in strace in GSoC 2016.

Thank you for your interest and welcome to strace!

> The idea I chose is Multi-OS and multiarch continuous tests infrastructure.
> I am really interested in working on this idea and want to explore Linux
> system programming. strace is a very useful tool when someone wants to know
> the interactive between processes and kernel. strace and the source of openjdk
> helped me to learn how does the hotspot hsperfdata files (a Java Hotspot VM
> performance file) works during my internship.
>
> I have been a Linux user for 4 years, and writing C for 5 years since the
> high school. Also, I started to write Python after I entered university. I
> had internship with Alibaba Inc last year, working in AliCloud Computing
> relative database service group. I built a Java VM performance monitor system
>
> for the internal distributed java cluster, aimed at discovering and tracking
> high frequency garbage collection. Further, I have had some experience in
> Jenkins. I think I can manage this idea very well.
>
> Firstly, I plan to get familiar with the codebase. Then I plan to learn how
> to use OpenSuse build service and Travis CI to setup a multi-os and multi arch
> continuous test environment. Could you please give me suggestions for further
> preparation? Thanks.

At this stage I suggest that you focus on your proposal since the
deadline is tomorrow.
See some recent post of the topic: the key points are IMHO how to set
up and plan for a test matrix with reasonable and representative
combos os/arch/toolchains.

> Following the guidance, I had read several mails recently, and I am trying to
> understand the project now. I plan to write a test next. In addition, I do
> have enough time to work on GSoC this summer.

Focus on your proposal first. If you want feedback on a draft you can
send it to the list for review.
--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne