[GSoC] Self Introduction

Wei Yulan weiyulanaheadlead at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:31:36 UTC 2016

Hello,

I am Wei Yulan, a junior from China, majored in Computer Science at Nanjing university of Aeronautics and Astronautics. I am excited for the opportunity to participate in strace in GSoC 2016.

The idea I chose is Multi-OS and multiarch continuous tests infrastructure. I am really interested in working on this idea and want to explore Linux system programming. strace is a very useful tool when someone wants to know the interactive between processes and kernel. strace and the source of openjdk helped me to learn how does the hotspot hsperfdata files (a Java Hotspot VM performance file) works during my internship.

I have been a Linux user for 4 years, and writing C for 5 years since the high school. Also, I started to write Python after I entered university. I had internship with Alibaba Inc last year, working in AliCloud Computing relative database service group. I built a Java VM performance monitor system for the internal distributed java cluster, aimed at discovering and tracking high frequency garbage collection. Further, I have had some experience in Jenkins. I think I can manage this idea very well.

Firstly, I plan to get familiar with the codebase. Then I plan to learn how to use OpenSuse build service and Travis CI to setup a multi-os and multi arch continuous test environment. Could you please give me suggestions for further preparation? Thanks.

Following the guidance, I had read several mails recently, and I am trying to understand the project now. I plan to write a test next. In addition, I do have enough time to work on GSoC this summer.

Thank you for your time and work. I hope we can keep in touch and to hear back from you soon.

Sincerely,
Wei Yulan
Computer Science
College of Computer Science and Technology
Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics