[GSoC] Self Introduction

Yulan Wei weiyulanaheadlead at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 15:06:12 UTC 2016

> On Mar 24, 2016, at 11:55 PM, Philippe Ombredanne <pombredanne at nexb.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 3:31 AM, Wei Yulan <weiyulanaheadlead at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am Wei Yulan, a junior from China, majored in Computer Science at Nanjing
>> university of Aeronautics and Astronautics. I am excited for the opportunity
>> to participate in strace in GSoC 2016.
>
> Thank you for your interest and welcome to strace!
>
>> The idea I chose is Multi-OS and multiarch continuous tests infrastructure.
>> I am really interested in working on this idea and want to explore Linux
>> system programming. strace is a very useful tool when someone wants to know
>> the interactive between processes and kernel. strace and the source of openjdk
>> helped me to learn how does the hotspot hsperfdata files (a Java Hotspot VM
>> performance file) works during my internship.
>>
>> I have been a Linux user for 4 years, and writing C for 5 years since the
>> high school. Also, I started to write Python after I entered university. I
>> had internship with Alibaba Inc last year, working in AliCloud Computing
>> relative database service group. I built a Java VM performance monitor system
>>
>> for the internal distributed java cluster, aimed at discovering and tracking
>> high frequency garbage collection. Further, I have had some experience in
>> Jenkins. I think I can manage this idea very well.
>>
>> Firstly, I plan to get familiar with the codebase. Then I plan to learn how
>> to use OpenSuse build service and Travis CI to setup a multi-os and multi arch
>> continuous test environment. Could you please give me suggestions for further
>> preparation? Thanks.
>
> At this stage I suggest that you focus on your proposal since the
> deadline is tomorrow.
> See some recent post of the topic: the key points are IMHO how to set
> up and plan for a test matrix with reasonable and representative
> combos os/arch/toolchains.
>
>> Following the guidance, I had read several mails recently, and I am trying to
>> understand the project now. I plan to write a test next. In addition, I do
>> have enough time to work on GSoC this summer.
>
> Focus on your proposal first. If you want feedback on a draft you can
> send it to the list for review.
> --
> Cordially
> Philippe Ombredanne

Thanks for your reply.

As your advised, I have finished my proposal now, and I sent the draft to the list. I hope I understood the idea your suggested in idea list accurately. Please give feedback on my draft if it is possible, I will stay online until the deadline. Thanks.

Sincerely,
Wei Yulan
Computer Science
College of Computer Science and Technology
Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics