[GSoC 2016] Netlink socket parser

Gabriel Laskar gabriel at lse.epita.fr
Mon Mar 7 18:24:36 UTC 2016

On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 18:52:25 +0530
haris iqbal <haris.phnx at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Piyush Pangtey
> <gokuvsvegita at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It was mentioned that there was a GSoC'14 project on this , and I
> > would like to know how many output formats support were
> > implemented . Is this project just a code cleanup work of previous
> > GSoC project?
>
> It is not just a cleanup work. The project was not completed. The aim
> would be to continue the past work.
>
> As mentioned in the ideas page
>
> "Note: there has been a project on this topic during the GSOC 2014 but
> it did not go all the way through the codebase.
> Taking over the past project, updating, streamlining the code and
> breaking it down in small commits that could be pushed and acceptable
> in the trunk would be great start."

We need something like:

* for starter a good way to have a structured output in strace (how do
  we specifiy all the parameters, what level of parsing we need, etc…)
* a decent file format specification, that can work in most situations
* and a good way to migrate the codebase, without a big code dump of
  5Mb :)

--
Gabriel Laskar