[GSoC 2016] Netlink socket parser

haris iqbal haris.phnx at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 13:22:25 UTC 2016

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Piyush Pangtey <gokuvsvegita at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm Piyush Pangtey , an undergradute student at NIT Uttarakhand India.
> I'm interested in doing strace's "structured output" project.
> The idea of adding structured output functionality to strace is
> wonderfull, it's output can be further utilized by user made programs
> without any need of writing the same code again ,for example
> https://clusterbuffer.wordpress.com/strace-analyzer.

Its a little confusing. Your subject says "Netlink socket parser", and
you are mentioning about working for "structured output" in the bode
of the email. An honest mistake I guess. No issues. :)

> It was mentioned that there was a GSoC'14 project on this , and I
> would like to know how many output formats support were implemented .
> Is this project just a code cleanup work of previous GSoC project?

It is not just a cleanup work. The project was not completed. The aim
would be to continue the past work.

As mentioned in the ideas page

"Note: there has been a project on this topic during the GSOC 2014 but
it did not go all the way through the codebase.
Taking over the past project, updating, streamlining the code and
breaking it down in small commits that could be pushed and acceptable
in the trunk would be great start."