[GSOC 2014] - Yangmin's current work - Re: GSOC: Status update - three students projects allocated to strace!

yangmin zhu zym0017d at gmail.com
Sun May 18 16:24:26 UTC 2014

Hi all,
  I am now tring a new method in sys_read() from io.c. I am now using
open_memstream() to mock a FILE* to eliminate the locally alocated
buffer which are used in my prototype. I also modified a littte the
tprints() and tprintf() to use the mocked FILE* in json output
situation. The reason I choose open_memstream() is that I think it may
be better to reuse(or modify a littte) of the current output functions
such as printfd() instead of writing a new sprintfd() (just like
sprintf()).
  I'm not very sure which way is better, But for current situation, It
seems more clean to use open_memstream().

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 5:02 AM, Philippe Ombredanne
<pombredanne at nexb.com> wrote:
> Sorry for having been a tad quiet lately ...
>
> We are rather spoiled by having three projects allocated to strace for
> the GSOC 2014.
> The program starts in earnest now and kicks in officially on May 19th ...
>
> The projects are about four distinct topics:
>
>  - Structured JSON output with YangMin Zhu : his prototype is at
> https://github.com/zym0017d/strace_GSOC2014
>  - Advanced absolute paths decoding; Security enhancements with Zubin
> Mithra <zubin.mithra at gmail.com>
>  - Improved and more reliable multi-architecture support with Edson
> Ticona <xcr33d at gmail.com> His original proposal is at
> https://github.com/eds000n/gsoc14/releases/download/gsoc/edsonProposal2.pdf
>
> Edson, YangMin and Zubin:
> Welcome to strace!
> Time for you to start by introducing yourself to the list and present
> your project and approach: what are you going to do?
>
> Prefix your subjects with GSOC so it is easy to search and sort.
>

> All our interactions will go through the list and you should post
> frequently enough to keep us abreast of your progress at least weekly
> and post patches often.
> It would be great to start soon by submitting a small patch for a
> start so you guys can get used to the strace ways ...
I am now doing all my work on my own github
(https://github.com/zym0017d/strace_GSOC2014) and I am getting
familiar with git. So should I submit my everyday's code to strace? I
am not sure how to do this and the frequency I do it.

> Also in terms of your project docs, it might make sense to give you
> access to the project wiki and have each of you maintain your pages
> there.
> Dmitry: what do you think?

Yes, I think it indeed make sense to start maintain our own pages in
the project wiki now.

> Let's roll!
> --
> Cordially