git for strace

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Wed Jun 3 15:24:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 06:10:28PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> How would folks feel about switching from CVS to GIT?
> (All the other kids are doing it.)
>
> While we consider this, please nobody do any CVS commits or git pushes.
> If Dmitry and Denys are happy with git, then I'll declare the deed done.

Well, I switched my strace repository from cvs to git about 3 years ago,
so I definitely happy with this transition.

[...]
> I would prefer to have 'rebase' become the git master, pretend that the
> alternative history in CVS never happened, and go on from there.  But if
> others would strongly prefer to have 'revert' be the master so we preserve
> all the exact CVS history since 4.5.18, I can accept that.

I use and sometimes publish strace builds based on cvs snapshots, so "the
alternative history" will have to remain at least in my strace repository,
and I prefer 'revert' to keep the history more simple and linear.