Question on strace

Satish Kumar Tedla satish.tedla at oracle.com
Wed Jun 25 13:59:04 UTC 2008

Hi Jan,

 Thanks a lot for your immediate reply.
 I am a beginner with these commands, so have a few more qtns.

What is systemtap? Do I have to install this separately?

>> # stap /tmp/kill.stp
>> START
Is the stap an alias you are using for systemtap?
What exactly did you mean by START? Start my process that I was referring to?

 >>bash (4599): kill (24688, sig 15) = 0
I was trying to kill my process using kill -TERM pid, what exactly are
you referring to in kill?

My questions may be quite obvious for you, but as I said I am still
learning...

Thanks for you patience,
Satish