invalid system call on Android

Eugene Syromyatnikov evgsyr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 18:21:02 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 7:13 PM Jason Hussey
<jasonhussey at mymail.mines.edu> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm getting an invalid system call error message on a rooted Android phone which I cross-compiled strace for.

What version of strace have you built?

> I can use these exact commands on a different rooted phone, so is the difference here kernel related? Are certain system calls just unexposed in different kernel versions?
>
> surya:/ # strace -f -p 11157 -e trace=%net
> strace: invalid system call '%net'

%net alias is a relatively recent addition (commit v4.26~74). "-e
trace=network" or "-e trace=%network" should work, though.

> surya:/ # strace -f -p 11157 -e decode-fds=socket
> strace: invalid system call 'decode-fds=socket'

"-e decode-fds" is even more recent (v5.6~168); you can probably try
the -yy option (added in v4.10~390).