strace of io_uring events?

Pavel Begunkov asml.silence at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 19:42:04 UTC 2020

On 15/07/2020 20:11, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 07:35:50AM -0700, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
>>> On Jul 15, 2020, at 4:12 AM, Miklos Szeredi <miklos at szeredi.hu> wrote:
>>>
>>> <feff>Hi,
>
> feff?  Are we doing WTF-16 in email now?  ;-)
>

>>> This thread is to discuss the possibility of stracing requests
>>> submitted through io_uring.   I'm not directly involved in io_uring
>>> development, so I'm posting this out of  interest in using strace on
>>> processes utilizing io_uring.
>>>
>>> io_uring gives the developer a way to bypass the syscall interface,
>>> which results in loss of information when tracing.  This is a strace
>>> fragment on  "io_uring-cp" from liburing:
>>>
>>> io_uring_enter(5, 40, 0, 0, NULL, 8)    = 40
>>> io_uring_enter(5, 1, 0, 0, NULL, 8)     = 1
>>> io_uring_enter(5, 1, 0, 0, NULL, 8)     = 1
>>>
>>> What really happens are read + write requests.  Without that
>>> information the strace output is mostly useless.
>>>
>>> This loss of information is not new, e.g. calls through the vdso or
>>> futext fast paths are also invisible to strace.  But losing filesystem
>>> I/O calls are a major blow, imo.

To clear details for those who are not familiar with io_uring:

io_uring has a pair of queues, submission (SQ) and completion queues (CQ),
both shared between kernel and user spaces. The userspace submits requests
by filling a chunk of memory in SQ. The kernel picks up SQ entries in
(syscall io_uring_enter) or asynchronously by polling SQ.

CQ entries are filled by the kernel completely asynchronously and
in parallel. Some users just poll CQ to get them, but also have a way
to wait for them.

>>> What do people think?
>>>
>>> From what I can tell, listing the submitted requests on
>>> io_uring_enter() would not be hard.  Request completion is
>>> asynchronous, however, and may not require  io_uring_enter() syscall.
>>> Am I correct?

Both, submission and completion sides may not require a syscall.

>>> Is there some existing tracing infrastructure that strace could use to
>>> get async completion events?  Should we be introducing one?

There are static trace points covering all needs.

And if not used the whole thing have to be zero-overhead. Otherwise
there is perf, which is zero-overhead, and this IMHO won't fly.

--
Pavel Begunkov