Questions about git co-author

Paul Chaignon paul.chaignon at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:07:01 UTC 2019

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 11:17PM, Zhibin Li wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As you may know, I'm working on DRM ioctl decoding based on Patrik's
> patchset.
> And I presume that I'm supposed to add some labels in the patches I send
> such
> as "Co-authored by" to indicate that Patrik and I both work on this.

I've also seen Signed-off-by used for this purpose.  Maybe ask Patrik for
his preference.

> But here's the question: how can I keep the author of every line of code
> correct?

You can't unless you make a commit per author and manage to assign each
line to the appropriate commit.  But I really don't think that would be a
good idea.

I don't think it matters either.  You're the one who made the commit.
Co-authored-by is simply a way to credit someone else who wrote part of
the lines or an older version.

> I mean when using git blame we can see who modified a specific line of code.

With some clients, with Co-authored-by, you'll see both authors on
modified lines of code.