Zhibin Li's GSoC status report - #2 of #13

Zhibin Li 08826794brmt at gmail.com
Mon May 28 17:22:11 UTC 2018

Hi, all

Since I just sent status report #1 three days ago, I didn't do much in
these
three days so I'd make this report brief. I've sent a patch but it hasn't
been reviewed so there could be a lot of problems. I'm fully responsive and
awaiting for your comments. I'm now learning stuff related to quota,
filesystem, etc (again, mostly by referring to man page).

Question:
eSyr once told me on IRC "note that corner cases may be shown as covered
by coverage report but still provide unexpected/unwanted behaviour".
Correct
me if I'm understanding in the wrong way. I guess it's because not every
scenarios/combinations are tested? The report just shows the lines/branches
and whatever that have already been tested as coverd, regardless whether
they are fully tested or not. For example, the membarrier.c is shown as
over
90% covered because the test case has tested "printxval(...)"
"sprintflags(...)" part in it but not every cmd arguments are tested. It
could still lead to abnormality when invoking these functions with untested
cmds. I'm not sure about the feasibility and necessity to test all
options/parameters (or most of them) provided according to linux man page.
To do so, it seems that the test suite would be oversize. Anyone has any
thoughts or disagreements?

Zhibin Li