[GSOC][namespace Support]

WeiDeng Lai laiweifeng51 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 02:52:39 UTC 2018

Hello, I'm WeiFeng Lai, a student from  Xi`an University of Posts &
Telecommunications, also a member of XiYou Linux Group -- a open source
community for college students .
I'm interested in open source program and linux kernel, and contributing to
strace, my name of github is bw98.
I'm working for a solution about pid_namespace Support, and read over the
source codes of patch in  link: *https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/6/593
<https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/6/593>*. Bellow, I'll briefly introduce my
views on it.
I read over the idea on list,it says:

> *namespace support*Suggested by: Eugene Syromyatnikov
>   It could be useful to be able to show PIDs of processes in different PID
> namespaces when they are shown up in syscall arguments and results. As of
> now, this is quite complicated by the fact that there's no way to easily
> derive PID of the target process in the strace's namespace.
>   RH bug
>   LKML thread with a patch that introduces a syscall that helps
> translating PIDs between PID namespaces
>   Some WiP
>   The other thing is the preservation of correctness of various strace
> features (path filtering, fd decoding, thread enumeration, ...) that rely
> on /proc when the traced process is in different namespace

So I think the project needs get the target pid in different
pid_namespace,so I search by 'man',there is a way:

we can do some preloading operation like mounting /proc whenever we enter
the new name space. To complete this requirement,we can make a try to add a
new kernel API for trans_pid between different pid_namespaces,such as patch
in link: * https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/6/593
<https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/6/593> *.
a few days ago,I talk with my  seniors of community,we have a consistent
point that add a new kernel API may a good idea,we can apply patch on later
kernel versions,and modify it so that patch can apply on 3.x to now.If it
make sense,I'll do this.
I don't hatch other methods,can someone provide some information or
documents for my reference?
Thank you :)

​