strace requires gawk 4 but doesn't test for it

Eugene Syromiatnikov esyr at redhat.com
Thu Jan 18 09:48:37 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 04:15:10PM -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> "Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv at altlinux.org> writes:
> > checking whether mpers.sh -m32 works... gawk: ./mpers.awk:42:   array_return = array[array_idx][array_member]
> > gawk: ./mpers.awk:42:                                  ^ syntax error
> > no
> >
> > which I wouldn't call "silently ignored".
>
> Well, ignored then.  The build continues but builds an strace without
> mpers support.
>
> >> If not, shouldn't configure check for
> >> multi-dimensional array support and fail if it's not found?
> >
> > Do you suggest failing the build in this case?
>
> If the target defaults to running mpers, yeah, I think a test for [][]
> support in configure would be appropriate (or making the mpers.sh test
> fatal), perhaps with an --disable-mpers to work around it.

Mpers check is now fatal by default (v4.20-168-g3eb199a).

> Building an strace that doesn't do what you expect is worse than not
> building an strace until you change your expectations ;-)
>
> Or if mpers is not built, at least strace should refuse to trace
> binaries that would have required the other personalities.  At the
> moment, it traces them but produces incorrect output.

strace now warns in case tracee has unsupported personality
(v4.20-166-g88fa069) and the personality support is readily available in
strace -V output (v4.20-158-g7dbc378).  It is also mentioned in the
man page (v4.20-159-gb172dbf).  Hope this helps.

See also https://sourceforge.net/p/strace/mailman/message/36194990/