strace requires gawk 4 but doesn't test for it

DJ Delorie dj at redhat.com
Fri Jan 5 21:15:10 UTC 2018

"Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv at altlinux.org> writes:
> checking whether mpers.sh -m32 works... gawk: ./mpers.awk:42:   array_return = array[array_idx][array_member]
> gawk: ./mpers.awk:42:                                  ^ syntax error
> no
>
> which I wouldn't call "silently ignored".

Well, ignored then.  The build continues but builds an strace without
mpers support.

>> If not, shouldn't configure check for
>> multi-dimensional array support and fail if it's not found?
>
> Do you suggest failing the build in this case?

If the target defaults to running mpers, yeah, I think a test for [][]
support in configure would be appropriate (or making the mpers.sh test
fatal), perhaps with an --disable-mpers to work around it.

Building an strace that doesn't do what you expect is worse than not
building an strace until you change your expectations ;-)

Or if mpers is not built, at least strace should refuse to trace
binaries that would have required the other personalities.  At the
moment, it traces them but produces incorrect output.