GSoC 2017: proposal

Edgar Kaziahmedov edos at linux.com
Fri Mar 31 21:30:54 UTC 2017

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 23:45:43 +0300
"Dmitry V. Levin" <ldv at altlinux.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 03:51:41AM +0300, Edgar Kaziahmedov wrote:
> > This is my proposal, please review
> >
> > I am waiting for feedback and on my last days I am doing changes to
> > specify information.
> >
> > https://github.com/edosedgar/xs-pkg/blob/master/proposal.txt
>
> My idea of a syscall information tool was different.  I was thinking
> of a static information query tool (well, maybe not 100% static if
> some tests of running kernel were implemented).
>
> strace already stores a lot of information about syscalls in
> syscallent.h files so it would be nice to get as much as possible
> from it, and from structured output's descriptions when available.
>
> When structured output is fully merged, the asinfo tool with a nice
> ncurses output described in your proposal would be more natural to
> implement as a parser of json output produced by strace.

Okay, thus, the idea sounds a little bit simpler.
Actually, I thought about the json output produced of strace(if my
memory does not fail me it was the last year GSoC project), but I got
stopped because I found out, that the project in the development hence
still is not merged. Nonetheless, I think even for static query tool it
would be nice to use pretty nice output(ncurses). I'm just mastering the
ncurses.
So, I will fix my proposal.

Regards,
Edgar Kaziahmedov