GSOC: Introduction

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Sun Mar 5 03:18:34 UTC 2017

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 05, 2017 at 01:54:33AM +0530, Abhishek Tiwari wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 5:41 PM, Abhishek Tiwari
> <erabhishektiwarics at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Good evening everyone,
> > I am Abhishek Tiwari pursuing M.Tech IIT Kharagpur. I am looking
> > forward to contribute to strace Project Idea -> Netlink socket
> > parsers.
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> I have made a change in INSTALL file (there the bootstrap script was
> not mentioned to be run in installation step). Please review the
> patch.

This INSTALL file comes directly from GNU Automake, it's intended
for those who build the package from tarball.

To build strace "from git", one has to run ./bootstrap script first.
This is mentioned in README-hacking, but not in INSTALL file,
which is somewhat confusing.

Perhaps it would be better to create a separate file with instructions how
to build strace "from git" and reference INSTALL from there.

Alternatively, we can modify INSTALL file, but the new wording shouldn't
be confusing to those who build strace from tarball.

> Is sending patch preferred over sending pull request or I can directly
> send pull requests from github?

We prefer patches sent to this mailing list.