Introduction

Eugene Syromyatnikov evgsyr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 15:06:52 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Kommuru jai shankar reddy
<kommurujaishankarreddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes,  I am interested in the micro project of adding tests to the test
> suite. Could you please provide suggestions  on getting started to this  ?

Sure. I'd suggest starting with ioctl decoders that are not shown as
covered in LCOV reports, these are rather low-hanging fruits. The next
thing is rarely used features that have no tests or are poorly tested,
like path tracing or stack printing. It would be also benefitical to
add some tests that cover some not previously test-covered aspects of
strace's behaviour, like daemonized tracer, but in order to do that
properly, some understanding of the strace internal workings is
needed, and it might be difficult at first.

The tests themselves reside in tests directory. The make target of
interest is "make check", and you might be interested in
--enable-code-coverage configuration option.

Note also that code that is not covered by tests is more likely to
contain errors (especially if it is some obscure ioctl one rarely
cares about), so do not hesitate to fix it in case discrepancies
between kernel's and strace's interpretation of syscall arguments are
observed.