[GSoC 2016] Comprehensive Testing Suite

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Thu Mar 10 00:16:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 10:54:12PM +0530, Jay Joshi wrote:
> Hello strace-devs,
>
> My name is Jay Joshi, I'm a Computer Engineering student from Nirma
> University. I've been interested in wide variety of system calls. I had
> come across strace when I was working on Online Judge, where I wanted a
> reliable tool to filter out some dangerous system calls. I find it very
> interesting.

Well, for filtering out dangerous syscalls I'd recommend using seccomp
rather than strace.  But strace is interesting anyway, nobody argues with
that. :)

> I've gone through codebase, in particular, strace/tests, I observe that
> task is to print the output in specific format and matching it with the
> output of strace real execution,

While not all strace tests are like this, most of them are, especially
those that test specific syscall parsers.

> Do we have to consider every case for error:
> For example, for "chmod" system call, should the test cover every possible
> error that "chmod" might throw?

No, we don't.  If we were testing the kernel, then yes, we would have to.
Testing the kernel, however, is not our objective (despite that, our tests
help finding kernel bugs, too), so we want to have a good coverage of
strace code, not the kernel code.  You can have a look at
https://codecov.io/github/strace/strace for a general idea what's covered
and what's not.