[GSoC 2016] Comprehensive test suite

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Wed Mar 9 03:06:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 11:48:37PM +0200, Katerina Koukiou wrote:
> Hey ,
> My name is Katerina Koukiou and I am a fifth year Electrical and Computer
> Engineering student at NTUA University,Athens Greece. I am interested in
> the project listed on strace GSoC page, namely "Comprehensive test suite".
> I believe that this project is a great way to gain deep understanding of
> all syscalls. Currently I am working on my final year university project,
> in which I implement precopy migration of LXC containers, using the CRIU
> tool.
> As a start I decided to add a new test in the strace/tests.

That's a good idea for a start.

> I understand
> how the test are structured but I can't figure out how to add new one. I
> have created the  [syscall].c , [syscall].expected , [syscall].test files .
> Should I edit only the Makefile.am files to produce the [syscall]
> executable by running make [syscall]? (Sorry if its a simple question,but I
> am not yet familiar with autotools)

The easiest way to understand how to add a new test is to read commits
that change tests subdirectory.  There are some variations, for example,
some tests have static [syscall].expected while others generate it
dynamically in [syscall].test, but you'll get the idea.
For the majority of tests you don't have to be familiar with autotools
to add a new test.