[GSoC 2016] Comprehensive test suite

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Wed Mar 9 03:00:13 UTC 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Katerina Koukiou
<k.koukiou at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hey ,
> My name is Katerina Koukiou and I am a fifth year Electrical and Computer
> Engineering student at NTUA University,Athens Greece. I am interested in the
> project listed on strace GSoC page, namely "Comprehensive test suite".
> I believe that this project is a great way to gain deep understanding of all
> syscalls. Currently I am working on my final year university project, in
> which I implement precopy migration of LXC containers, using the CRIU tool.
> As a start I decided to add a new test in the strace/tests. I understand how
> the test are structured but I can't figure out how to add new one. I have
> created the  [syscall].c , [syscall].expected , [syscall].test files .
> Should I edit only the Makefile.am files to produce the [syscall] executable
> by running make [syscall]? (Sorry if its a simple question,but I am not yet
> familiar with autotools)
>
> Thanks in advance
> Katerina

Welcome to strace and thank you for considering this project for the GSOC!
Yes you need edit the Makefile.am to include this new test.
This recent commit in [2] gives you a good example of what files need
to be changed.

Now, rather than using autotools directly you would be better off with
the bootstrap script [1]
So the dance would be:
./boostrap
./configure