[GSOC 2016] Netlink socket parsers

Gabriel Laskar gabriel at lse.epita.fr
Sun Mar 6 16:31:15 UTC 2016

Hi Fabien,

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 11:33:49 +0000
Fabien Siron <fabien.siron at epita.fr> wrote:

> I am very interested to be part of the GSOC in the strace project. I
> especially like the subject "Netlink socket parsers" but I have some
> questions about that subject:
> * Should the Netlink socket parsers have the form of a new filtering
> option? (for example: `strace -e netlink ip a`)
> * Or maybe should we add the netlink family/protocol?

When netlink is used with recvmsg/sendmsg, so when decoding these
messages, we already know that they will this will be netlink packets.

So a good start would be to just decode the basic headers for these
packets, only on recvmsg/sendmsg, and build from there in order to add
more protocols for example.

After that we need also to be able to look at send/recv, but for that
we need to be able to recognize the protocol before. There may be some
work done on that point (retrieve the address family/type/protocol
under a socket) but I am not sure about it.

I hope this answers your interrogations, and helps you in order to
create a proposal.

--
Gabriel Laskar