Preparing for the next release: call for testing

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Mon Jul 25 08:09:53 UTC 2016

Hi,

Given that strace has over 72% test coverage, I'm going to change strace
release schedule and release new versions of strace more often.

Starting with the next release 4.13, I'll try to follow the schedule
of linux kernel and release new versions of strace along with new
version of linux kernel.

Judging by the test results I have, current HEAD (v4.12-173-gf922fcc)
is expected to pass "make check" at least on the following architectures:
x86_64, x86, x32, aarch64, arm eabi, alpha, hppa, ia64, mips o32,
ppc, ppc64, s390, s390x, and sparc.

Still, there have been some changes since v4.12 that could have caused
regressions, so please test HEAD on all configurations you can.

Assuming that toolchain is recent enough, current HEAD is also expected
to pass "make check" when configured with --enable-gcc-Werror option.

Mike, v4.12-173-gf922fcc passes tests on all boxes you gave me access to
except an armv7 box where test suite complains about 16-bit set*id and
*chown syscalls.  This is not a regression since v4.12, though.

Steve, according to http://www.einval.com/debian/strace/build-logs/, there
are no regressions compared with v4.12: v4.12-173-gf922fcc builds on all
configurations and passes tests on all boxes except mips64el.