Newbie looking for bugs or patches needed

haris iqbal haris.phnx at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 08:33:45 UTC 2016

Hello,

I can work on extending -e trace=class. I will take sometime to understand
the code. If there is some documentation that will help me understand the
flow and the functionality of the functions then it will be good.

Regarding the portable strace. I actually wrote it as a module for a
project which detects malicious behaviour of a process by reading the
parameters of the syscalls made by that process. Its pretty simple and was
done as a POC. The code itself is small and not very well written as I had
only a week to complete the project. you can find it here -->
https://github.com/harisphnx/web_technology/tree/master/ieee_paper

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 11:29 PM, Dmitry V. Levin <ldv at altlinux.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 11:08:24PM +0530, haris iqbal wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there a place where I can look for bugs to fix or patches or features
> > needed.
>
> If you are looking for something to code that does not require deep
> knowledge of strace internals, there are at least two areas that come
> to mind:
>
> 1. Extending strace test coverage.  We are just over 50% according to
> https://codecov.io/github/strace/strace, practical test coverage is
> probably a bit less because some code paths executed during "make check"
> are not really covered by tests.
>
> 2. Extending -e trace=class syntax with new classes.  strace currently
> supports desc, file, ipc, memory, network, process, and signal.
> Additional classes might be useful, e.g. all open-like syscalls,
> all stat-like syscalls, all syscalls dealing with uid/gid, etc.
>
> > I have some fair amount of experience with ptrace, as I have build a
> small
> > portable strace for my college project.
>
> A portable strace?  Have you released it as a free software?
>

> --
> ldv

With regards,

*Md Haris Iqbal,Placement Coordinator, MTech ITNITK Surathkal,Contact: +91
8861996962*