Newbie looking for bugs or patches needed

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Tue Feb 9 17:59:58 UTC 2016

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 11:08:24PM +0530, haris iqbal wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a place where I can look for bugs to fix or patches or features
> needed.

If you are looking for something to code that does not require deep
knowledge of strace internals, there are at least two areas that come
to mind:

1. Extending strace test coverage.  We are just over 50% according to
https://codecov.io/github/strace/strace, practical test coverage is
probably a bit less because some code paths executed during "make check"
are not really covered by tests.

2. Extending -e trace=class syntax with new classes.  strace currently
supports desc, file, ipc, memory, network, process, and signal.
Additional classes might be useful, e.g. all open-like syscalls,
all stat-like syscalls, all syscalls dealing with uid/gid, etc.

> I have some fair amount of experience with ptrace, as I have build a small
> portable strace for my college project.

A portable strace?  Have you released it as a free software?