./bootstrap failing

Christopher Covington cov at codeaurora.org
Fri Mar 6 18:29:59 UTC 2015

On 03/04/2015 10:16 AM, Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 08:48:11AM -0500, Christopher Covington wrote:
>> I'm getting the following error:
>>
>> ./bootstrap
>> ln: failed to create symbolic link `tests-m32/Makefile': File exists
>
> Thanks, fixed.
>
>> Should the operation perhaps be forced or only performed if a link doesn't
>> already exist?
>
> A forced linking may lead to overwriting build results.
> Why anyone might want this behavior?

Re-running make may lead to overwriting build results. Re-running configure
may lead to overwriting build results. Re-running autoreconf may lead to
overwriting build results. Re-running xlat/gen.sh may lead to overwriting
build results. Following this trend, I expect, and I would guess that many
others would expect, that re-running bootstrap may lead to overwriting build
results.

I want this behavior so that from a simple shell script I can build the latest
git checkout of strace, starting from the very beginning, in a directory that
may have a previous build present. If anyone has suggestions of a better way
to do this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,