GSoC 2015

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Tue Mar 3 16:43:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 5:12 PM, Prateek Gupta
<prateekgupta.3991 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> I am a 4th year undergraduate student pursuing B.E.(Hons.) Computer Science
> from BITS Pilani, India. I am interested to participate in GSoC 2015 and
> find strace as an interesting project to contribute.

Hello Prateek and welcome to strace!

> I have worked with the ftrace utility in linux as a part of a power and
> performance analysis project for GPU where I used the time difference
> between gpu ioctl calls for calculating the instantaneous Frames Per Second
> delivered.
> I am going through the initial wiki reading understanding. I have installed
> strace and cloned the source code.If you can guide me to some helpful links
> which would help me in understanding strace better.

The source and the list are the way. we are probably badly missing
additional documentation...
There are a few articles and blog posts you can find on the web though for sure.
I guess contributing some documentation to get started on the
internals would be mucho welcomed too.
This could something that could be crafted while discovering the
strace codebase.

> Now i am looking up to some bugfixes which would help me to dive into the
> code for better understanding.

The source and the list are the way too.
Downstream distros bug trackers such as Debian or Gentoo may also
contain tidbits of bugs.

--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne