[GSOC 2014] - Yangmin's current work - Re: GSOC: Status update - three students projects allocated to strace!

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Mon May 19 09:24:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM, yangmin zhu <zym0017d at gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> I am now doing all my work on my own github
> ( https://github.com/zym0017d/strace_GSOC2014 ) and I am getting
> familiar with git.

Sorry, in my previous post I had not seen that part.... Using this
repository is fine.

> So should I submit my everyday's code to strace? I
> am not sure how to do this and the frequency I do it.

The best would be to start with a small patch to get familiar with the
patch submission process.
Pick something small, like a small test or a comment typo: anything
that is small and easy to get you started.
We use essentially the same approach as the kernel [2]. You can also
look for previous patch submissions on the list to see how this works.

Once that is established, there are likely natural logical chunks in
your work that may be submitted in different patches; Possibly
something like that, but this is for you to propose what you think is
best:
- some base patches that establish your base design and the hooks you
will need for a structured output, but with the actual structure
output not yet there;
- support for structured output for specific areas that can likely be
divided in several smaller patches.
- tests! your changes are likely to require the submission of several
new tests: first to ensure that your code does not break the existing
output; second all your support for a JSON output should come with
tests

>> Also in terms of your project docs, it might make sense to give you
>> access to the project wiki and have each of you maintain your pages
>> there.
>> Dmitry: what do you think?
>
> Yes, I think it indeed make sense to start maintain our own pages in
> the project wiki now.

For this you need to create a userid on Sourceforge and provide it
here so that Dmitry can give you edit access on the wiki.
Let me make a separate post on this topic.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne