[GSOC] multiarch support

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Mon Jun 2 21:45:23 UTC 2014

Hi Edson,

On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 09:23:39AM -0500, Edson Ticona wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am working on the multiarchitecture support. I have forked strace to
> my repo [1].
> I found a project [2] which generates a table for the syscalls,
> although it works only for 2.6.x I modified it for the 3.10 based on a
> pull from that project and you can find the syscall tables I generated
> here [3][4] for x86 and x86_64.

These are nice tables although I don't quite see how they would help.

> I added debugging info for the set_personality() and I am working on a
> structs.h to make a general interface for handling structures in
> different architectures. I am starting with iovec and stack_t. Is this
> approach good?

A general interface for handling all structures and personalities?
Could you elaborate on that, please?

The approach I was thinking about is this:
- isolate personality specific code; all syscall decoders that
  depend on personality specific types, sizes, and offsets are likely to
  fall into this category;
- actually preprocess that code separately for each personality; e.g. for
  x86_64 this would imply gcc -m64, -mx32, -m32, and additional
  preprocessing of basic types;
- automatically choose the right "personalized" code for each traced
  process.