Whether I can get one list of Linux system call arguments and their type by strace?

Philippe Ombredanne pombredanne at nexb.com
Thu Feb 20 21:14:01 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:48 PM, Pengfei Sun <shaotian330 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to get the map among system call number, system call name, system
> call arguments and arguments type. One solution is whether I can write one
> program to get this map or there has been this map in strace? I also want to
> know whether I can get this map dynamically. I means when get the system
> call number from running program, can I get the system call name, arguments
> and arguments type at the same time. I don't know whether strace supports
> this function.

The best source is the source ;) and is going to be system specific,
the second best source are the man 2 pages (i.e. man 2 <call name>)
I have not checked it in details, but this project seem to implement
some man page parser to use as some input to parsing strace output and
interpreting syscalls: https://github.com/ssavvides/posix-omni-parser/
and may be worth looking at. I have not tried it in any way or shape
though and I would be interested to know if it is any good.
--
Philippe Ombredanne