[RFC] gradually moving strace from ptrace to perf

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Fri Oct 4 17:21:57 UTC 2013

>> To do something like this, I would want to reuse strace's
>> C code of syscall decoders with as small modifications
>> as possible (i.e. want to avoid a complete rewrite,
>> especially to a different language).
>> Is this achievable with systemtap?

Jan> No.  But some mechanical rewrite of about 300 syscall decoders
Jan> (most of them are trivial ones) by an assigned intern IMO should
Jan> not play a role in the design principle of strace-NextGeneration.

It would be great if the decoding information were available in some
form that is readily reused.  We'd like to have it for use in gdb as
well.  I don't really care what format; we can have gdb read anything.

It seems to me that it would be best if the kernel provided this data
somehow; since after all it's really just a description of the kernel
API.

Tom