[RFC] gradually moving strace from ptrace to perf

Jan Kratochvil jan.kratochvil at redhat.com
Wed Oct 2 11:20:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, 02 Oct 2013 13:13:21 +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> IIUC, this approach, if implemented fully, would move
> most of strace's syscall decoding machinery to kernel,
> what would be passed back to userspace are the strings
> of generated output.

Yes.

> To do something like this, I would want to reuse strace's
> C code of syscall decoders with as small modifications
> as possible (i.e. want to avoid a complete rewrite,
> especially to a different language).
> Is this achievable with systemtap?

No.  But some mechanical rewrite of about 300 syscall decoders (most of them
are trivial ones) by an assigned intern IMO should not play a role in the
design principle of strace-NextGeneration.

One cannot use C directly in systemtap as the systemtap scripting ensures the
code is safe against crashes and lockups.

> Will it be possible to use systemtap-based
> strace by non-root users?

I am not aware of the details but FChE said yes.

Jan