Q: can rlim_t be a long long type on linux

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Mon Mar 19 00:48:33 UTC 2012

On Saturday 17 March 2012 13:17:30 Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 05:45:51PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > > x32 is going to be the first.
> >
> > mips/n32 doesn't ?
>
> btw, how one can reliably identify that kind of information
> just looking at the kernel?

i'm not sure.  when we get into ABI's that don't follow the common 32bit/64bit
split behavior, it can get ugly fast.  on the mips side, all those _MIPS_SZxxx
defines are coming from gcc itself.

for our purposes, not sure if it'd be best to just start a local doc that
listed the sizes/etc... for target arches/abis.

> For example, we have an oddness in file.c with several different
> definitions of sys_lseek, one for HAVE_LONG_LONG_OFF_T, another for
> !HAVE_LONG_LONG_OFF_T, and yet another one for LINUX_MIPSN32 where
> off_t is actually emulated via "long long".  How could it be that
> off_t is not a "long long" type but lseek takes a "long long"
> argument?

my guess is that the mips logic is attempting to handle strace compiled as one
ABI but to trace another.  if you build it as o32, then the LONG_LONG_OFF_T
detection will have no bearing at all if you trace an n64 or n32 binary.  or
built an n32 strace and attempted to trace an o32 ELF.
-mike