Feature requests: list of PIDS, and all threads

Alexander Kriegisch kriegaex at freetz.org
Fri Mar 9 12:56:46 UTC 2012

[Oh please, set Reply-To in the mailing list as a header. Againt, my
first shot was a private answer to someone because the list is only on CC.]

Denys Vlasenko, 09.03.2012 13:43:
> On 03/08/2012 02:47 PM, Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
>> Okay, here is the script as an attachment. Call it like this:
>>
>> ./strace_no_pending mc.log mc
>> ./strace_no_pending test.log -p 719 -p 1010
>>
>> Please note:
>>    - If you want the PID as first column, you need to do that *after*
>>      sorting by timestamp, which would make the script more complicated.
>>      I guess this is not needed.
>>    - The "trap" avoids the script to be aborted before log file
>>      unification if the user wants to stop strace via Ctrl-C.
>>    - The pid-numbered logfiles are cleaned up after unification. If you
>>      still want to keep them, remove the last command.
>
> I think you should not run strace. Write a separate tool
> which post process the logs. Such as this.

My script was just a quick-shot skeleton and good enough for me. Why not
share it? And I do like one-stop shopping, so why not run strace? Having
said that, your version is undoubtedly better. I never used something
like "sort -k2" and always enjoy learning something from Mr. BusyBox. I
really do! :)

Reapectfully
--
Alexander