Problems Running strace with Ubuntu 11.04

William R Agosto Padilla agopad at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 16:37:17 UTC 2011

Dear strace Developers,

I am seeking help with using strace with Ubuntu 11.04. I installed the
latest version (strace_4.5.20-2ubuntu2_i386<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/natty/+package/strace>)
of strace, after trying to use it unsuccessfully. Now that is installed, it
is not running. When I run a command like "strace -e trace=network -o
~mydirectory/Documents/strace_out.txt", it takes me automatically to the
strace man page. I reviewed that command syntax and it is correct. However,
I cannot get it to work. Do you know of any problems with strace and Ubuntu?
Is there other tracing utilities or programs that I could use to do the same
thing that strace does? If so, where do I find it?

Cheers!!

William

--
William R. Agosto Padilla