How to exclude ipc calls

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Fri Nov 25 15:43:11 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 01:41:54PM +0100, Alexander Kriegisch wrote:
> Well, maybe I have wrong expectations, but as I wrote in my original
> message, I want to exclude "ipc()" calls, not "...ctl()" calls. On the
> former this setting has no effect. How can I filter them?

These "...ctl()" calls used by ipcs are definitely ipc calls, aren't they?
You can use
strace -e trace='!ipc'
to hide all IPC related syscalls (shm*, sem* and msg*).

> It is definitely not a quoting problem, otherwise it would not work with
> other syscall exclusions either, but it does. Using "!ipc" in my case
> seems to have the effect that everything is dumped unfiltered, while
> "ipc"  does not dump anything. So the setting has an effect, just not on
> "ipc()" calls.

This is not what I see on x86, x86-64 and arm.  What's the strace version
and architecture you are talking about?

> --
> Alexander Kriegisch (kriegaex)
> http://freetz.org

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why top-posting is considered the most annoying thing in messages?