approaching 4.5.21 release

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Thu Feb 17 13:24:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:45:02AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 08, 2011 20:25:39 Dmitry V. Levin wrote:
> > - update linux/[^b]*/ioctlent.h, these files are quite outdated;
>
> the Blackfin one should be pretty up-to-date ;).

That's why I wrote [^b]* instead of plain *. ;)
All ioctlent.h files except linux/ioctlent.h and linux/bfin/ioctlent.h
haven't been updated since May 2005.

> the ADI distribution runs a
> script to automatically make sure the Blackfin ioctl list isnt missing any new
> ioctls from the current kernel and it tends to flag new stuff every time we
> upgrade linux (imagine that).
>
> the duplication here though has irked me for some time, but i didnt feel like
> trying to clean things up myself.  perhaps we should take the Blackfin one,
> make it the canonical linux one, and punt the rest.  i dont have a problem
> keeping one file up to date, so doing linux/ioctlent.h vs
> linux/blackfin/ioctlent.h is fine.  but i dont really have the time or
> inclination to review all the arches.

I suppose we can safely drop outdated linux/[^b]*/ioctlent.h files then.
WRT linux/ioctlent.h vs linux/blackfin/ioctlent.h, there are little
differences, some of which (e.g. in asm/mtrr.h area) are quite obvious,
but others (e.g. linux/loop.h is missing in linux/ioctlent.h) are not.
I'd really like to know the source of the latter.

> > - test HEAD on all supported architectures except x86, x86-64 and bfin
> >   which seem to work fine.
>
> i can easily test alpha/arm/hppa/ia64/ppc/ppc64/s390/sh/sparc, but without any
> sort of `make check`, my tests tend to consist of `strace ls` and `strace ps`
> and be like "i guess that looks ok".

Well, nobody volunteered to write a test suite for strace yet, so I think
it's better to run such simple tests to ensure that strace/strace -f just
works than to wait for better test coverage.