I: approaching 4.5.20 release

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Wed Apr 14 12:29:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 08:02:58PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> IMHO you never need to wait to push NEWS changes.  It's probably better to
> add them incrementally while making changes rather than try to remember or
> recover everything at release time.

I agree, it's certainly a good idea.

> I used a 'make srpm' from your branch to do test rpm builds on several
> Fedora and RHEL versions.  I didn't try the results, but the builds went
> happily except for one thing.  On RHEL4/ppc there is a build failure
> because <asm/stat.h> is #include'd without <linux/types.h> or something
> like that it needs.  The vagaries of Linux header file interactions have
> changed a lot over the years, and RHEL4 has a significantly different
> vintage (based on 2.6.9) than the other systems.  4.5.19 also does not
> build on RHEL4, so this is not a regression.  It seems like it should be
> made to work again (we know 4.5.16 did).  But as a nonregression from the
> last release, I don't think it is a reason to hold up 4.5.20 now.

I have no RHEL4/ppc nearby to check potential fixes, so even if I could
guess a fix I wouldn't be able to check it.  Also, any change in this
area may cause build regressions on other platforms.  This is not the kind
of changes I'd apply right before release.

That is, I think that commit v4.5.19-40-gacbe518 is ready to be tagged
as v4.5.20.