release soon?

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Tue Jul 7 22:52:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 03:01:52PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > trivial: .cvsignore is obsolete, README-CVS needs to be renamed and updated.
>
> Please go ahead and do it in git.

I pushed these changes to branch ldv/master, please have a look whether
it's OK for master.

BTW, we probably have to accept some guideline about maintaining ChangeLog
file in git.  Whether to reflect changes there along with changes themself
using single commit, or make this file autogenerated using
gitlog-to-changelog tool, etc.
I suppose that experience of other free software projects migrated from
CVS to GIT several years earlier than strace (e.g. coreutils) may be a
good point to start with.

> > There is at least one part of the big revert commit v4.5.18-96-geb9e2e8
> > I'd like to see reintroduced sooner rather than later: "Replace many more
> > bare ptrace calls with calls to wrappers which do proper error-checking and
> > set tcp->ptrace_errno."
>
> Yes, I think one was lost in the shuffle just because of too many merge
> conflicts to deal with, not because I disapproved of it especially.
> Would you like to resurrect the changes in a form that can be applied to
> the current tree?

Unless Denys is going to resurrect this change soon, I can try.