4.5.17 release soon!

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Tue Jul 22 00:37:23 UTC 2008

> I will send you an updated debian dir patch later today.

I committed those.

> There are build problems on three architectures:
>
> sparc
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=strace&ver=4.5.16%2Bcvs20080708-2&arch=sparc&stamp=1216312916&file=log

The sparc kernel removed its asm/a.out.h, meaning linux/a.out.h also goes.
I don't know what we ever needed it for, but it's obsolete now.  I removed
the #include.  If there is still a sparc build issue, we'll have to follow
that up later.

> hppa
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=strace&ver=4.5.16%2Bcvs20080708-2&arch=hppa&stamp=1216312996&file=log
>
> and m68k
> http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=strace&ver=4.5.16%2Bcvs20080708-1&arch=m68k&stamp=1216264430&file=log

These are both due to the build's installed <sys/user.h> (from glibc) being
bogus, or at least incompatible with the kernel headers.  I'd call that a
bug for the Debian glibc or kernel-headers packages, really.

In upstream hppa glibc, sys/user.h is empty so it's harmless.
It looks like it's an #error stub for m68k.

People who actually build on those machines will have to tell us what
works.  We could make the use of the header conditional.  I'm not going to
do anything before someone really tries out a patch on these machines.

Thanks,
Roland