Problems running strace on MIPS (WRT54G)

Ray Van Dolson rayvd at digitalpath.net
Fri Jan 13 21:22:03 UTC 2006

I'm trying to run strace on a MIPS box -- a WRT54G to be exact.  This device
is running the 2.4.20 kernel and everything is compiled against uclibc
0.9.19 and gcc3.0.  Am trying to build strace 4.5.11.

I am building strace as follows:

CC="mipsel-uclibc-gcc -s -Os" \
  ./configure \
    --target=mipsel-linux \
     --host=mipsel-linux \
     --build=i386-pc-linux-gnu \
     --enable-shared \
     --disable-static

Which works fine.  The binary is build and I copy it to my WRT54G.  When I
run it without arguments, I get the help output.  However, if I run it with
a command as the argument or -p <pid> strace immediately dies with SIGSEGV.

What could be causing this?  Is there something specific in the kernel that
is necessary that I may be missing?  I know this is working fine on other
WRT54G's (OpenWRT has a binary--fails with similar results to above on my
system as well).

Thanks for any ideas,

Ray