Difference in timings with strace and time comman

Dilip Angal dangal at casecentral.com
Mon Aug 9 00:00:59 UTC 2004

Hi

I am trying to do some profiling of one of the third part tool I am likely
to use for which I do not have source code.

I tried to run it using time command and later with strace.

I noticed that system time reported by time is o where close to the sum of
the system call times reported stace.

Of course I have many read and write calls.

So here are my questions.

Does strace includes IO wait time in the timing reported in read?

And I presume time command does not and hence timing reported by time and
strace are completely skewed

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

Dilip