time stamp

matheny matheny-strace at dbaseIV.net
Tue Sep 25 22:40:02 UTC 2001

Hello List,
I'm curious about the -r option for strace. The way I understand this
option it will print the time between successive calls. So, the output
for strace -eopen,close -r cat /etc/passwd would be something to the
effect of :
    0.000769 open("/etc/passwd", O_RDONLY|0x8000) = 3
    0.000350 close(3)                  = 0
My question is, if this open() is the first in a succession of the
system call pair open() and close() why isn't the time for open() 0?
Maybe I just don't understand the time output correctly for the -r
option. Thanks in advance.
-Blake