Query regarding syscall decoders

Sahil Siddiq icegambit91 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 22:01:39 UTC 2024

Hi,

Two new syscalls, listmount and statmount, were added to the linux
kernel [1][2][3]. I have never written a syscall decoder and this seems to
be a challenging task. I would like to try my hand at this.

I was going through several syscall decoders in strace and I have got a
question. Several decoders (eg: getpriority) return RVAL_DECODED, while
some decoders (eg: getrusage) return 0 unconditionally.

When should a decoder return RVAL_DECODED and when is "return 0"
appropriate?

Regards,
Sahil

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/950569/