[GSoC] Introduction and Microproject

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at strace.io
Mon Feb 13 16:00:25 UTC 2023

Hi Karan,

On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 11:27:03PM +0530, Karan Handa wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'm a third year Computer Science major interested in getting involved
> with the community, contributing to strace, and grokking C!
>
> With regards to relevant background, I've worked with C code on small
> projects. I'm also somewhat familiar with the internal structure of
> xv6, which is a toy operating system being used in an Operating
> Systems course that I'm a teaching assistant for. I'm familiar with
> using UNIX based environments, syscalls, monitoring and profiling
> programs, diagnostics, etc. I'm also deeply in sync with the CPU level
> and hardware abstractions, so I'm aware of the lower-level issues when
> programming in lower level languages and extremely careful and
> meticulous when writing low-level code. With regards to open source,
> I'm completely new but I'm excited to learn!
>
> As for my microproject, I'm interested in adding a system call parser
> / ioctl command parser / netlink protocol parser.
>
> Could you point me towards some resources for understanding the
> general structure for strace as well as how to get started with the
> microproject? I tried going back to the initial commits to try and
> understand the initial barebones codebase, but the git commits only go
> back until Feb 1999. Are the original 1992 commits available
> somewhere?
>
> Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your interest in strace project.

With regards to the prehistoric commits, the cvs repository started
in 1999, that's all we have.

However, the project changed a lot since that time, so I'd suggest
to have a look at the latest commits in the area you're interested in.
For example, if you're interested in adding a syscall/ioctl/netlink
parser, just look for the latest commits in these areas.