Making strace multi-threaded

Karaoui mohamed lamine moharaka at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 15:04:36 UTC 2021

Hi list,

Can we make strace multi-threaded? This is for when we trace a
multi-threaded process. Ideally, we want each thread of strace to trace a
single thread of the application.

How far do we need to go to make it happen? Do we need to modify ptrace
also? Or just modifying strace code base is sufficient?

I also tried to have multiple instances of strace attach to a each thread
of a process. But of course, this does not work! We can only attach to a
process as a whole not to one of its threads.

Regards,
Mohamed Karaoui