GSoC status report - #1 of 10

Srikavin Ramkumar srikavinramkumar at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 22:17:56 UTC 2021

Hi,

Last week I worked on setting up the lexer, the parser and documenting the
features and syntax of the description format. I've pushed my changes to my
fork [1] of strace.

Accomplishments:

Using flex and bison was significantly easier than expected, and I was able to
mostly finish up the lexer and parser. The parser is almost entirely compatible
with syzlang. It currently ignores type attributes and fails to parse ranges. I
plan to polish up the remaining issues soon. Once I do, I'll send a RFC patch.
This is very much a work-in-progress, but I would also appreciate any
comments/feedback on the current state.

I placed this code in maint/gen. Is there a better directory to put it in, or is
this fine?

Priorities:
 - Add support for ranges in type options
 - Begin working on code generation
 - Replace Makefile with a script
 - Finalize CLI arguments, and add usage documentation

[1]: https://github.com/srikavin/strace/tree/srikavin/decoder_gen

-- Srikavin