I: GSoC 2021 community bonding period

Dmitry V. Levin ldv at altlinux.org
Wed Jun 2 20:46:07 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 02, 2021 at 02:27:40PM -0400, Srikavin Ramkumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for selecting my GSOC proposal. I'm looking forward to contributing to
> the development of strace.
>
> What are the general week-to-week expectations (status updates, reports, etc.)?

Please send your project status reports to this mailing list every Monday
by 11:59PM Pacific Time (UTC-7).  The first one is due on June 7 when the
official coding period starts, and the final one, which should mark the
successful completion of your project, is due on August 16.  While you may
know exactly what you are working on, these reports help us track and plan
for what everyone is up to.

The subject line should be "GSoC status report - #N of 10" where N is the
number of weeks passed since June 7.  This helps to remind us how much
time we have.  The body should have an Accomplishments section listing
what you did since the last status report, and a Priorities section
listing your upcoming tasks.  Feel free to be as detailed as you would
like.

> And what is the process for submitting patches/code for review, especially
> since it wouldn't make sense to merge into master until the majority of the
> proposal is complete?

I suppose the process would be essentially the same as usual: post patches
to this mailing list for review.  I'd also recommend pushing changes first
to make sure they pass CI tests. If it wouldn't make sense to merge all
changes right into master, then I'd suggest maintaining a side branch for
a while, rebasing it on master from time to time, e.g. once a week, or
when some useful printing primitives are added to master.

> Also, I will be unavailable from Aug. 4 to Aug. 8 due to another commitment.

If you happen to have exams or other commitments during the official
coding period that affect your GSoC project schedule, this is OK, but
please mention them in the status report.